Who: You, gentle reader
What: Vote for a project that could get funded by American Express’s Members Project to plant 1 million trees and to use Second Life to educate people about environment and what we can do to preserve it. Or – just go to vote for any project you find worthy of your support; American Express is donating $1 for each member who is registering to vote.
Where: At http://www.membersproject.com/Environment_Wildlife/991 (or look for the project titled “The Virtual Forest Project. 1 million trees. Easy.” on MembersProjects.com)
When: Until Sunday, July 15
- you care about environment
- it’s a cool idea
- it brings together real life and Second Life in a meaningful way
- it’s the only AmEx MembersProject program that is using social media
Background & disclosure: American Express’s Members Project is an initiative that will allocate between 1 and 5 million dolars to 5 projects that were suggested and voted by AmEx cardholders. Plant-It 2020, a non-profit organization, has been selected as the ‘fulfiling organizations’ for one of the top 50 projects. The project, called The Virtual Forest, is linking Second Life and real life in a simple way: for every (virtual) tree planted in SL, a tree is planted in the real world to combat deforestation. The project is already up and running in SL; my company, Converseon, has built the Second Chance Trees island; the funds are used by Plant-It 2020, our partner, to plant the trees in RL.
- My friend and colleague Paull Young has an in-depth post about the project and our approach on his blog and on our corporate blog
- Watch our machinima video on YouTube to learn more about the project
- Visit the Second Chance Trees Island (SLurl)
- Take a look at the photos took on our island
- Visit the project’s website.