Half of NYTimes.com registered users are Influentials

So says a new Roper study:

The Roper study of 4,120 NYTimes.com registered users found that 48 percent meet the criteria for Influentials. This year’s results are consistent with findings from similar studies conducted by Roper among NYTimes.com members in 2001 and 2003, which showed that 43 and 50 percent of NYTimes.com members, respectively, were Influentials.

Just wondering:

  • In the words of Jonathan Carson, “Roper’s Influentials are still alive and well – but do they matter?
  • How many subscribers are landing on NYT’s pages thanks to its weblog-safe links?
  • How many of the registered readers of NYT are reading/authoring blogs?
  • How much money will the Times get from advertisers as a result of this new study? :)

Note: it looks like the guys from Roper (GfK NOP) didn’t receive the memo about RSS. They’re wasting the chance to connect with some influentials, IMHO :)

3 Comments

  1. Pingback: PR Opinions

  2. That figure of 43% does sound rather high, though I seem to remember that in their original study influential people were supposed to read lots of newspapers and magazines. Constantin, you are influential, do you read lots of magazines and newspapers? Hey maybe we should do our own study find out where the influential people are located and see what they read.

    Tongue in cheek, I have been wondering a lot lately about customers, we blog a lot about companies but the customers and their blogs might matter more.

  3. John, I’m not sure I qualify as an influential as defined by Keller & Berry. The list of activities characterizing an influential doesn’t apply to me, in most part, because I’m not an American citizen. As a result, I’m not attenting public meeting on town or school affairs, I’m not writing to politicians (because they know I can’t vote for them), I’m not an “active members of a group trying to influence public policy”, I didn’t work for a political party, and I never held or ran for a political office.

    But again, we’re going back to question asked by Jonathan Carson, and echoed by Matt Galloway: what’s the real power of influentials, as defined by Keller & Berry, and are they still the 10% that are shaping “the attitudes and behaviors of the other 90%”? Or should we look for a new list of characteristics that are defining an influential?

    To respond to your question, yes, I read (in hard copy) Financial Times, Business Week, Wired, Harper’s, and MIT Technology Review, but most of my readings are done on the Web, by following the links recommended by other bloggers.

Comments are closed.